1 January 2015
Cache Lake was once the hub of Algonquin and during its heyday was the location of Park Headquarters, the Highland Inn and Algonquin Park railway station. The last train to stop here was in 1959, to collect youth campers from Camp Tanamakoon, and the railway ties lifted in the fall of that year. The right of way is still discernable, flanked by forest, the hustle and bustle of a bygone era now replaced by stillness and silence on this winter afternoon. Established as a historic site, a series of five interpretive panels commemorate the past and the role the railway has played in the area and for tourism in the park.